Architectural, Extensions, Renovation
Home extensions are a great way to increase the living space of your home without going through the cost and hassle of moving house. We specialise in building all types of extensions to domestic homes, i.e.; side, rear, single or double storey as well as all major renovations to properties. All extensions are built to the highest standards and current building regulations.
1 Free initial consultation
I visit the property to discuss your requirements, determine the most suitable design approach and advise on how to proceed. I will also informyou of all the necessary local authority applications and approvals that might be necessary. I will then write to confirm my costs for providing the drawings and give you a budget estimate for the build cost.
2 Survey & sketch design
- Discuss your requirements and establish principle for conversion or extension.
- Measured and photographic survey of entire existing building (takes approx. 3 hours)
- Draw-up existing plans, elevations and section.
- Review clients outline brief and prepare sketch layouts for consultation and your approval.
- Preliminary staircase design.
- Sectional drawing showing headroom that will be achieved.
3 Planning Application
- Complete approved drawings and add additional notes and information required for planning application.
- Setup roof plan and block plan for application.
- Purchase O/S Plan @ 1:1250 scale.
- Complete forms and lodge application.
- Check progress of application and deal with correspondence and queries from the planners as necessary.
- Brief client and amend drawings as necessary. Note: this allows for minor alterations only, complete redesigns will be extra.
4 Detailed design, engineer's calculations & Building Regulations Applications
- Preparation of all plans, sections and elevations, as necessary, at 1:50 scale
- Setting-out dimension as appropriate
- Building Regulations notes and outline specification to comply with current Approved Documents and British Standards
- Sectional details
- Steel structure layout (produced in conjunction with Structural Engineer)
- Floor joist and trimmer layout
- Means of escape and fire precautions design and specification
- Design/specification of insulation (sound and thermal), plumbing and ventilation
- Fill-in application forms and register · Liaise with Approved Inspector/Local Authority and deal with queries as needed
- Brief client and amend drawings as necessary.
5 Application monitoring
Gaining building approvals can be a long and difficult process and each application is unique, so I constantly monitor the progress of each application. Any special requirements, negotiations or amendments will be dealt with efficiently on your behalf. I advise that no building works can begin until the local authority 'Full Plans' approval has been received. Once received a full set of drawings and all the relevant documentation will be issued to the homeowner and you to enable work to start.